Our pal Aimee Chan is guest mixtaper this week, and what a killer selection of music it is. Solid gold jams from Japan, Thailand, the Congo and more. Lovely.
Our next party is in The Sugar Club on September 22nd 2017.
Read all about it over here!
Aaaand the tracklist for last week’s Congolese special:
01 – Grand Kalle – Miwela Miwela
02 – M’Bilia Bel – Faux Pas
03 – Franco et le T.P. O.K. Jazz – Massu
04 – Nyboma – Doublé Doublé
05 – Zaïko Langa-Langa – Mokili Echanger
06 – Pelasimba et Manuaku Waku et Likinga – Wele Wele
07 – Pambu – Grand Zaiko Wawa
08 – Kamanzi – Zaiko Langa Langa
09 – Pépé Kallé & Orchestre Empire Bakuba – Fungola Ngai
10 – Le Poète Simarro Massiya – Kopo Epasuki
Woweembeem Mixtape 018 was compiled by Aimee Chan and edited by Papa Lou.
A truly beautiful and hypnotising selection of Congolese music this week by Sean who messaged our Facebook page —
“My name is Sean Montgomery Dietz, sorry to just cold call but I heard off a mate you guys are looking for people to do mixes and it’s not necessarily about being a DJ, but putting good tunes together that people might not have heard? Well I’ve been playing soukous with these guys from Congo for the last 6 years and they showed me a bunch of killer tunes it would be my pleasure to put together?”
The answer was obviously a resounding yes!
“it’s a mix from Eric and Sean of Elikya, and these songs barely scratch the surface of the long history of Congolese Music! Congolese music goes in so many directions but these songs in particular work off that 4 on the floor bass drum that’s loved the world over!”
Really happy with this one. Our mixtape series is open to everybody – if you love music from Africa, Latin America and the world over, and wanna get involved, just get in touch. We’ll be delighted to hear from you.
Here’s the tracklist from Pablo’s mix last week:
01. Pedro Santos – Desengano da Vista
02. Sona Jobarteh – Jarabi
03. Umalali – Merua
04. Dionisio – Dia Ja Manche
05. Marlui Miranda- Olho D’Agua
06. Os Tincõas – Obaluaê
07. Oum – Taragalte
08. Issa Bagayogo – Gnangran
09. Nação Zumbi – Caldo de Cana
10. Sambanzo – O sino da igrejinha
Woweembeem Mixtape 017 was compiled by Eric & Sean of Elikya, and edited by Papa Lou.
This week we have a beautiful selection of songs on a jazz / latin / afro tip, compiled by everyone’s favourite Brazilian Pablo Santos. After a stint back in the home country, he’s recently returned to Dublin – welcome back dude – and thanks for the awesome music! Pablo will be joining us in the DJ booth at our next party in September. Roll on.
Here’s the tracklist (w/ YouTube links) from James Keating’s killer mix last week:
01. Hilaire Penda – Force In The Heart
02. Evasion 85 – Van La Ka Vante
03. Antoinette Konan – Assandjé
04. Okoi Seka – Melokon Mebun Ou
05. Semi-Colon – Talking About You
06. Gnonnas Pedro – DaDje Von O Von
07. Déka Koma/West African New Sound – Ya Na Séé
08. Buari – Advice From Father
09. Polyversal Souls – Yelle Be Bobre
10. Eddie Hooper – Pass it on
11. Jean-Marie Bolangassa – Disna Ngaï
12. Jacob Mafuleni & Gary Gritness – Atuka Mhondoro 808
13. Tumblack – Caraiba
14. Irakere – Chekere Son
15. Sly & The Revolutionaries – Sensi Dub
16. Revelasong – Bob Rythm
17. Max Romeo – Rise Up
18. Pecker – Kylyn
Woweembeem Mixtape 016 was compiled by Pablo Santos and edited by Papa Lou
Hello! Back from holidays and ready to rock.. this week we’ve got a bumper extended guest mixtape by James Keating featuring “francophone afro / carribean / west african funk / disco > newer afro productions > ending on reggae from different parts of world“. Back of the net mate.
Tracklist will be posted next week.
Here’s the list for #14:
01. Tor-Cheney-Nahana (Winter Ceremony) (Sacred Spirit – America)
02. Anansy Cissé – Sekou Amadou
03. Ali Farka Touré With Ry Cooder – Soukora
04. Orlando “Cachaíto” López – Tumbanga
05. Afro Latin Vintage Orchestra – Requiem Pour Un Grooveur
06. Angel Rada – Panico A Las 5am
07. Patience Dabany – Levekisha
08. André Marie Tala 07 Mo Kwa Yie Mou
09. African Roots Of Jazz – The Healer Don’t Break
10. Sound Track Orchestra and Silvy – Tirsa Song
Woweembeem Mixtape 015 was put together by James Keating
This week we start with an ambient synth / native American chant groover followed by some super deep afro / jazz / latin stuff. Music from Patience Dabany, Orlando “Cachaíto” López, André Marie Tala and more. As usual, full tracklist drops next week. Enjoy the ride.
Here’s last week’s tracklist:
01 Buju Banton & Cocoa Tea – Go Home Soundboy (Acapella)
02 Bounty Killer – Spy Fi Die
03 Super Cat – Vinyard Party
04 Baby Cham & Bounty Killer – Kill A Sound (Sleng Teng Riddim Dubplate)
05 Capelton – Narrow Escape
06 Baby Wayne – History
07 Pupajim – Business of War
08 Original Kose – En
09 Professor Chinnen – Momomo Sumomo Mo Momo No Uchi
10 10SH — Steppa Style (feat. Solo Banton) – Digital (Irish Moss Records)
Woweembeem Mixtape 014 was compiled and edited by Papa Lou
First up, big thanks to everyone who came to our party on Sunday night at Wah Wah Club. So much fun in that little basement! Our guest DJs Kixx, REPLETE and Johnny Carroll all killed it. This week’s mixtape is a little clubbier than usual. Drum machines, synths, old and new stuff side by side. More Chantal Taïba, more Domani, the latest Awesome Tapes From Africa release, some banging Kwaito, and this much-lauded, 1983 Japanese synth-pop reissue, to cool things down at the end.
Here’s the tracklist from REPLETE’s mixtape last week:
01. Ayub Ogada – Kothbiro
02. Fangool – Mariama
03. Mala feat. Dreiser & Sexto Sentido – Como Como
04. iZem – Agua Viva
05. Gyedu – Blay Ambolley Adwoa
06. Osmar Milito E Quarteto Forma – America Latina
07. Dele Sosimi – Ojo ro
08. Black Motion x Amampondo – Far Lands
09. O Son De Cabo Verde – Os Kings Minino na Tchora
10. Fela Kuti & Afrika 70 – I Go Shout Plenty
Woweembeem Mixtape 012 was compiled and edited by Papa Lou
This week we’ve got a deep excursion into soul, jazz, afrobeat & latin w/ tracks from Salif Keita, Señor Coconut, Francis Bebey & more. All vinyl records this time… the Bebey one is rare but the others are all easily available (and cheap). It’s music to listen to while lyin’ horizontal in the sunshine. Thank you musicians. Thank you record pressing plants. S/O to the Universe. Downloadable from here.
Here’s the tracklist from last week’s mix:
01. Monks Of Senegal – Ethiopic
02. Gal Costa – Baby
03. Habib Koité – Baro
04. Ali Farka Touré – Radio Mali
05. Orchestra Baobab – Utrus Horas
06. Arthur Verocai – Que Mapa
07. Batsumi – Mamshanyana
08. Angélique Kidjo – Sedjedo
09. Fatoumata Diawara – Kanou
10. Muluqen Mellesse Dahlak Band – Bene Mote
Woweembeem Mixtape 007 was compiled and edited by Papa Lou