Dennis Cassidy takes the controls this week with a killer selection of global sounds. Dennis runs Mixtapes From The Underground & manages The Record Spot among various other musical endeavours. Go Dennis!
Here’s the tracklist from last time:
01. Wayne Snow – Nothing Wrong
02. Mbongwana Star ft. Konono No1 – Malukayi
03. 79ers Gang – Eh Paka Way
04. Unknown – Just So (Knine Tseki Broken Beat Mix)
05. KOKOKO! – Tokoliana
06. M’Bamina – Mosi Zole (Un Et Deux)
07. Vis-a-Vis – Obi Agye Me Dofo
08. Ekambi Brilliant – Aboki (Mon Copain)
09. Groove on Commission – The Connection
10. Aki – The Truffle Tribe
Woweembeem Mixtape 022 was compiled by Dennis Cassidy and edited by Papa Lou.
Our pal Aimee Chan is guest mixtaper this week, and what a killer selection of music it is. Solid gold jams from Japan, Thailand, the Congo and more. Lovely.
Our next party is in The Sugar Club on September 22nd 2017.
Read all about it over here!
Aaaand the tracklist for last week’s Congolese special:
01 – Grand Kalle – Miwela Miwela
02 – M’Bilia Bel – Faux Pas
03 – Franco et le T.P. O.K. Jazz – Massu
04 – Nyboma – Doublé Doublé
05 – Zaïko Langa-Langa – Mokili Echanger
06 – Pelasimba et Manuaku Waku et Likinga – Wele Wele
07 – Pambu – Grand Zaiko Wawa
08 – Kamanzi – Zaiko Langa Langa
09 – Pépé Kallé & Orchestre Empire Bakuba – Fungola Ngai
10 – Le Poète Simarro Massiya – Kopo Epasuki
Woweembeem Mixtape 018 was compiled by Aimee Chan and edited by Papa Lou.
A truly beautiful and hypnotising selection of Congolese music this week by Sean who messaged our Facebook page —
“My name is Sean Montgomery Dietz, sorry to just cold call but I heard off a mate you guys are looking for people to do mixes and it’s not necessarily about being a DJ, but putting good tunes together that people might not have heard? Well I’ve been playing soukous with these guys from Congo for the last 6 years and they showed me a bunch of killer tunes it would be my pleasure to put together?”
The answer was obviously a resounding yes!
“it’s a mix from Eric and Sean of Elikya, and these songs barely scratch the surface of the long history of Congolese Music! Congolese music goes in so many directions but these songs in particular work off that 4 on the floor bass drum that’s loved the world over!”
Really happy with this one. Our mixtape series is open to everybody – if you love music from Africa, Latin America and the world over, and wanna get involved, just get in touch. We’ll be delighted to hear from you.
Here’s the tracklist from Pablo’s mix last week:
01. Pedro Santos – Desengano da Vista
02. Sona Jobarteh – Jarabi
03. Umalali – Merua
04. Dionisio – Dia Ja Manche
05. Marlui Miranda- Olho D’Agua
06. Os Tincõas – Obaluaê
07. Oum – Taragalte
08. Issa Bagayogo – Gnangran
09. Nação Zumbi – Caldo de Cana
10. Sambanzo – O sino da igrejinha
Woweembeem Mixtape 017 was compiled by Eric & Sean of Elikya, and edited by Papa Lou.
This week we have a beautiful selection of songs on a jazz / latin / afro tip, compiled by everyone’s favourite Brazilian Pablo Santos. After a stint back in the home country, he’s recently returned to Dublin – welcome back dude – and thanks for the awesome music! Pablo will be joining us in the DJ booth at our next party in September. Roll on.
Here’s the tracklist (w/ YouTube links) from James Keating’s killer mix last week:
01. Hilaire Penda – Force In The Heart
02. Evasion 85 – Van La Ka Vante
03. Antoinette Konan – Assandjé
04. Okoi Seka – Melokon Mebun Ou
05. Semi-Colon – Talking About You
06. Gnonnas Pedro – DaDje Von O Von
07. Déka Koma/West African New Sound – Ya Na Séé
08. Buari – Advice From Father
09. Polyversal Souls – Yelle Be Bobre
10. Eddie Hooper – Pass it on
11. Jean-Marie Bolangassa – Disna Ngaï
12. Jacob Mafuleni & Gary Gritness – Atuka Mhondoro 808
13. Tumblack – Caraiba
14. Irakere – Chekere Son
15. Sly & The Revolutionaries – Sensi Dub
16. Revelasong – Bob Rythm
17. Max Romeo – Rise Up
18. Pecker – Kylyn
Woweembeem Mixtape 016 was compiled by Pablo Santos and edited by Papa Lou
Hello! Back from holidays and ready to rock.. this week we’ve got a bumper extended guest mixtape by James Keating featuring “francophone afro / carribean / west african funk / disco > newer afro productions > ending on reggae from different parts of world“. Back of the net mate.
Tracklist will be posted next week.
Here’s the list for #14:
01. Tor-Cheney-Nahana (Winter Ceremony) (Sacred Spirit – America)
02. Anansy Cissé – Sekou Amadou
03. Ali Farka Touré With Ry Cooder – Soukora
04. Orlando “Cachaíto” López – Tumbanga
05. Afro Latin Vintage Orchestra – Requiem Pour Un Grooveur
06. Angel Rada – Panico A Las 5am
07. Patience Dabany – Levekisha
08. André Marie Tala 07 Mo Kwa Yie Mou
09. African Roots Of Jazz – The Healer Don’t Break
10. Sound Track Orchestra and Silvy – Tirsa Song
Woweembeem Mixtape 015 was put together by James Keating
This week we start with an ambient synth / native American chant groover followed by some super deep afro / jazz / latin stuff. Music from Patience Dabany, Orlando “Cachaíto” López, André Marie Tala and more. As usual, full tracklist drops next week. Enjoy the ride.
Here’s last week’s tracklist:
01 Buju Banton & Cocoa Tea – Go Home Soundboy (Acapella)
02 Bounty Killer – Spy Fi Die
03 Super Cat – Vinyard Party
04 Baby Cham & Bounty Killer – Kill A Sound (Sleng Teng Riddim Dubplate)
05 Capelton – Narrow Escape
06 Baby Wayne – History
07 Pupajim – Business of War
08 Original Kose – En
09 Professor Chinnen – Momomo Sumomo Mo Momo No Uchi
10 10SH — Steppa Style (feat. Solo Banton) – Digital (Irish Moss Records)
Woweembeem Mixtape 014 was compiled and edited by Papa Lou
Reggae and dancehall special this week. The first 6 tracks are some mystery rips that turned up on a hard drive dating all the way back to (Christmas!) 2005. It went missing a number of years ago and recently turned up in the Bernard Shaw’s office. Truth be told, I’ve no memory of where these dodgy mp3s originated from. Maybe they’re Soulseek downloads from the old family home desktop computer (the 40GB, black Dell that changed Ireland forever), acquired slowly but surely over 56K dial up. The following 4 tunes are newer digital reggae WAVs bought online in more recent times. Jams from Baby Wayne, Buju Banton, Bounty Killer, Super Cat and more.
Here’s last week’s tracklist:
01. Chantal Taiiba – Mwinda na n’gai
02. Domani – DJely Mady
03. Aby Ngana Diop – Michael Ozone’s Liital Rhythm
04. Roots Rawka – Fever Roots Rawka Dub
05. Black Renaissance feat. GB – Magic Ritual (GB Remix)
06. Trompies – Magasman
07. Shaluza Max – Mangase
08. Umoja – Take Me High
09. Thembi – Sekhukona Bani
10. Mariah – Shinzo No Tobira
Woweembeem Mixtape 013 was compiled and edited by Papa Lou