Amazing selection of tracks this week from our boy Matt Deasy, taking cuts from Latin America, Japan, Africa and more. Lovely mix of world jazz, funk, disco, reggae and even ambient. Ace.
Here’s last week’s tracklist:
01. Awatinas – Mama Rosario
02. The Dixie Cups – Iko Iko
03. Tabu Ley – Nairobi
04. Mulatu Astatke – Cha Cha
05. Owiny Sigoma Band – Odera Lwar
06. Quantic – Le Callejera
07. Moneymen and the Super 5 International – Life
08. Pat Thomas and Ebo Taylor – No Money No Love
09. Fehdah – Kathmandu
10. Fangwana Experience – Kononi
Woweembeem Mixtape 027 was compiled by Matt Deasy and edited by Papa Lou.
Our boy Dan Whelan supplies the jams this time round. Dan plays guitar in Yankari & loads of other killer Dublin bands. He’s funky AF.
Our last party was arguably the best. Huge vibes at The Sugar Club! We’re back there in May – keep it in mind.
Here’s the track list from Louis’s mix last time.
01. Samuel Yirga – Yeh Bati Koyita
02. Francis Bebey – Vesperal
03. Leong Lau – Salem Abdullah
04. Gabriella Ghermandi – Atse Tewodros
05. Dengue Fever – Monsoon Of Perfume
06. Vincente Vásquez D. – Zapateo En Menor
07. Dobet Gnahoré – Palea
08. Rajery – Misahotaka Ny Akama
09. Jeffrey Smith – Afro Blue
10. Morena Leraba – Mehau
Woweembeem Mixtape 026 was compiled by Dan Whelan and edited by Papa Lou.
First mixtape of the yr with some deep and satisfying afro / jazz / folk music from Samuel Yirgo (formerly of Dub Colossus), Francis Bebey, Dengue Fever & more.
Have a safe, fun & rewarding 2018 guys.
Here’s the tracklist from Robin’s Japanese ambient special:
01. Hiroshi Yoshimura – Green
02. Ichiko Hashimoto – Opening The Door Of Heaven There Overflowed The Orange Shine
03. The Water Melon Group – The Gate Of Japonesia
04. Toshifumi Hinata _ Sarah’s Crime
05. Yoshio Ojima _ Esplanade (live)
06. SeigÇn Ono _ Mallets
07. Yasuaki Shimizu _ Umi No Ue Kara
08. Ryuichi Sakamoto _ Okinawa Song Chin Nuku Juushii
09. Haruomi Hosono _ Sports Men
10. Yellow Magic Orchestra _ Pure Jam
Woweembeem Mixtape 025 was compiled and edited by Papa Lou.
‘80s Japan special this week from guest selector Robin Fuller. Mostly dreamy ambient type stuff before chugging into action by the end.
Serious double rainbow vibes here… so… beautiful.
Last week’s tracklist:
01. Bembeya Jazz National – Petit Sekou
02. Dusko Gojkovic – Devojko Mala
03. Arthur Verocai – Pelas Sombras
04. Moussa Doumbia – Samba
05. Azymuth – Young Embrace (Um Abraco Da Mocidade)
06. Monomono – Awareness is Wot You Need
07. Cassiano – Saia Dessa Fossa
08. Vincent Ahehehinnou – Maimouna Cherie
09. Selda Bagcan – Gitme
10. DJ Sotofett – Soukas Mix
Woweembeem Mixtape 024 was compiled by Robin Fuller and edited by Papa Lou.
Dennis Cassidy takes the controls this week with a killer selection of global sounds. Dennis runs Mixtapes From The Underground & manages The Record Spot among various other musical endeavours. Go Dennis!
Here’s the tracklist from last time:
01. Wayne Snow – Nothing Wrong
02. Mbongwana Star ft. Konono No1 – Malukayi
03. 79ers Gang – Eh Paka Way
04. Unknown – Just So (Knine Tseki Broken Beat Mix)
05. KOKOKO! – Tokoliana
06. M’Bamina – Mosi Zole (Un Et Deux)
07. Vis-a-Vis – Obi Agye Me Dofo
08. Ekambi Brilliant – Aboki (Mon Copain)
09. Groove on Commission – The Connection
10. Aki – The Truffle Tribe
Woweembeem Mixtape 022 was compiled by Dennis Cassidy and edited by Papa Lou.
Our pal Aimee Chan is guest mixtaper this week, and what a killer selection of music it is. Solid gold jams from Japan, Thailand, the Congo and more. Lovely.
Our next party is in The Sugar Club on September 22nd 2017.
Read all about it over here!
Aaaand the tracklist for last week’s Congolese special:
01 – Grand Kalle – Miwela Miwela
02 – M’Bilia Bel – Faux Pas
03 – Franco et le T.P. O.K. Jazz – Massu
04 – Nyboma – Doublé Doublé
05 – Zaïko Langa-Langa – Mokili Echanger
06 – Pelasimba et Manuaku Waku et Likinga – Wele Wele
07 – Pambu – Grand Zaiko Wawa
08 – Kamanzi – Zaiko Langa Langa
09 – Pépé Kallé & Orchestre Empire Bakuba – Fungola Ngai
10 – Le Poète Simarro Massiya – Kopo Epasuki
Woweembeem Mixtape 018 was compiled by Aimee Chan and edited by Papa Lou.
A truly beautiful and hypnotising selection of Congolese music this week by Sean who messaged our Facebook page —
“My name is Sean Montgomery Dietz, sorry to just cold call but I heard off a mate you guys are looking for people to do mixes and it’s not necessarily about being a DJ, but putting good tunes together that people might not have heard? Well I’ve been playing soukous with these guys from Congo for the last 6 years and they showed me a bunch of killer tunes it would be my pleasure to put together?”
The answer was obviously a resounding yes!
“it’s a mix from Eric and Sean of Elikya, and these songs barely scratch the surface of the long history of Congolese Music! Congolese music goes in so many directions but these songs in particular work off that 4 on the floor bass drum that’s loved the world over!”
Really happy with this one. Our mixtape series is open to everybody – if you love music from Africa, Latin America and the world over, and wanna get involved, just get in touch. We’ll be delighted to hear from you.
Here’s the tracklist from Pablo’s mix last week:
01. Pedro Santos – Desengano da Vista
02. Sona Jobarteh – Jarabi
03. Umalali – Merua
04. Dionisio – Dia Ja Manche
05. Marlui Miranda- Olho D’Agua
06. Os Tincõas – Obaluaê
07. Oum – Taragalte
08. Issa Bagayogo – Gnangran
09. Nação Zumbi – Caldo de Cana
10. Sambanzo – O sino da igrejinha
Woweembeem Mixtape 017 was compiled by Eric & Sean of Elikya, and edited by Papa Lou.