Hope you’re surviving 2020 as best ya can. For this edition Koji Watanabe has come through with some fire afro selections. Koji came to our last party at BelloBar in Feb, and Hang Dai after. We struck up a friendship on Instagram and asked if he’d like to contribute music for a mix. He said yes, and now here we are! Hope ya like it dudes, and thank you Koji, great selection!
Tracklist from Eric’s mix —
01 Fabregas – Ya Mado
02 Quartier Latin Academia – Sanction
03 Zaiko Langa Langa – Mokili Echanger
04 Wenge Musica aile Paris – Nganga nzambi
05 Choc Stars – Riana
06 Werrason – Kibuisa mpimpa
07 Pépé Kallé et Empire Bakuba – Pon moun paka bougé
08 Bozi Boziana et l’Anti Choc – La Reine De Sabah
09 Papa Wemba & viva La Musica – Extra Large
10 Koffi Olomide Ultimatum
Woweembeem Mixtape 036 was compiled by Koji Watanabe and edited by Moving Still
We’re back after a brief hiatus with a killer mixtape. If fast, pulsating, hypnotising and beautiful music from the Congo is your thing, wrap yer ears around this.
Eric’s mix is “…basically following down the chain of the 3rd school of Congolese music from the 80’s through the 90’s to today. All the music in the mix descends from a style called Kavasha pioneered by Zaïko Langa Langa. There’s kavasha/tchatcho/ndombolo with heavy sebens throughout each style. A big highlight is JB Mpiana RDC. This tune features rhythms and folklore from some of the different tribes found in Congo (of which there are 200+).”
We’ve been sitting on this mixtape for a long time and had planned to finally release it to coincide with Eric’s performance at Woweembeem (with his outfit Elikya) last March. Sadly that gig was postponed due to Covid-19 so here we are, releasing it into the world amidst a global pandemic. Who’d of thunk it.
Shout out to Sean Montgomery Dietz for the link up and additional notes, and big thanks to Eric for compiling this – mad love to you both.
Tracklist from Robin’s mix —
01 the Pool – On Retinae (East Version)
02 Urban Dance – Hammer
03 Yukihiro Takahashi – Blue Colour Worker
04 Ryuichi Sakamoto – E
05 Magical Power Mako – Spring Storm
06 Yellow Magic Orchestra – Wild Ambitions
07 Interior – Giant Steps
08 Ippu-Do – Moonlight Magic
09 Portable Rock – ウツの (Hold Me)
10 Mari Iijima – Love Sick
Woweembeem Mixtape 035 was compiled by Eric Kalombo Kings and edited by Moving Still
Disco Arabesqueo is an Amsterdam based digger who specialises in lost Arabic treasures. A lot of his jams are heavily influenced by Western music of the ’70/80s, and they all highlight a journey of cultural-contamination and a contemporary generation searching for a new identity. I came across his Soundcloud page and instantly fell in love with his selections, and trust me this community is scarce! — Jamal aka Moving Still
Tracklist from Amel’s mix —
01 Abdellah Oumbadougou – Talla Talline Manine
02 Yangogo – Iksenadou Oussouf Bastickne Tarha (Featuring Sally Nyolo)
03 Alawiya – Sama Des Faqirat
04 Souad Asla- Chaillah
05 Idir – Cteduyi
06 Karim Ziad- La illaha ila allah
07 Orchestre National de Barbes- Sidi Yahia Bnet Paris
08 Karim Ziad, Oummo sangari- Merhba Bik
09 Le meilleur de Cheb KHALED – Shab el baroud
10 Bouabdaliya – Choeur
Woweembeem Mixtape 031 was compiled and edited by DiscoArabesquo
OK folks so this one’s been a year in the making. Not that it took a year to edit, just been sitting on the tracks for 10 / 11 months. Anyway, this moment in time feels perfect. I love the intensity of Algerian & North African singing. Unbelievable stuff. If and when the armageddon comes, I know who should soundtrack it. Big love to Amel, queen of Dublin, Algiers, and everywhere really. Thanks so much for the amazing music.
Tracklist from Gib’s mix —
01. Mandingo Griot Society & Don Cherry – Sounds from the Bush
02. Unknown VA – Ouled Bambara
03. Unknown – Madimak
04. Electro-Dschungel – Kebabtraume
05. Wallias Band – Muziqawi Silt
06. Amrals Trinidad Cavaliers Steel Drum Orchestra – The World Is A Ghetto
07. Richard Horowitz – Bandit Nrah Master of Rajasthan
08. Codona – Codona
09. Roland Bocquet – Exotique
10. Zazou Bikaye – M’Pasil Ya M’Pamba
Woweembeem Mixtape 030 was compiled by Amel Yacef and edited by Papa Lou.
We’re back! In full effect!
Lovely reggae & dub mix here supplied by DJ VV.
Whack it on full blast and kick back lads.
It’s the summertime!
Here’s last tracklist from Matt Deasy’s mix last time:
01. Hany – Badaouiah (The Female Bedouin)
02. Admas – Anchi Bale Game
03. Cortijo & His Time Machine – Gumbo
04. Jean Delin – La Foi
05. Octávio Burnier – Dança infernal
06. Marcos Resende & Index – Terra de Vera Cruz
07. Xalam – ndiguel
08. Msafiri Zawose – Pole Pole
09. Haruomi Hosono – Mabui Dance #2
10. Yanti Bersaudara – Lembur Kuring
Woweembeem Mixtape 028 was compiled by DJ VV and edited by Jaz Somun
Amazing selection of tracks this week from our boy Matt Deasy, taking cuts from Latin America, Japan, Africa and more. Lovely mix of world jazz, funk, disco, reggae and even ambient. Ace.
Here’s last week’s tracklist:
01. Awatinas – Mama Rosario
02. The Dixie Cups – Iko Iko
03. Tabu Ley – Nairobi
04. Mulatu Astatke – Cha Cha
05. Owiny Sigoma Band – Odera Lwar
06. Quantic – Le Callejera
07. Moneymen and the Super 5 International – Life
08. Pat Thomas and Ebo Taylor – No Money No Love
09. Fehdah – Kathmandu
10. Fangwana Experience – Kononi
Woweembeem Mixtape 027 was compiled by Matt Deasy and edited by Papa Lou.
Our boy Dan Whelan supplies the jams this time round. Dan plays guitar in Yankari & loads of other killer Dublin bands. He’s funky AF.
Our last party was arguably the best. Huge vibes at The Sugar Club! We’re back there in May – keep it in mind.
Here’s the track list from Louis’s mix last time.
01. Samuel Yirga – Yeh Bati Koyita
02. Francis Bebey – Vesperal
03. Leong Lau – Salem Abdullah
04. Gabriella Ghermandi – Atse Tewodros
05. Dengue Fever – Monsoon Of Perfume
06. Vincente Vásquez D. – Zapateo En Menor
07. Dobet Gnahoré – Palea
08. Rajery – Misahotaka Ny Akama
09. Jeffrey Smith – Afro Blue
10. Morena Leraba – Mehau
Woweembeem Mixtape 026 was compiled by Dan Whelan and edited by Papa Lou.
First mixtape of the yr with some deep and satisfying afro / jazz / folk music from Samuel Yirgo (formerly of Dub Colossus), Francis Bebey, Dengue Fever & more.
Have a safe, fun & rewarding 2018 guys.
Here’s the tracklist from Robin’s Japanese ambient special:
01. Hiroshi Yoshimura – Green
02. Ichiko Hashimoto – Opening The Door Of Heaven There Overflowed The Orange Shine
03. The Water Melon Group – The Gate Of Japonesia
04. Toshifumi Hinata _ Sarah’s Crime
05. Yoshio Ojima _ Esplanade (live)
06. SeigÇn Ono _ Mallets
07. Yasuaki Shimizu _ Umi No Ue Kara
08. Ryuichi Sakamoto _ Okinawa Song Chin Nuku Juushii
09. Haruomi Hosono _ Sports Men
10. Yellow Magic Orchestra _ Pure Jam
Woweembeem Mixtape 025 was compiled and edited by Papa Lou.
‘80s Japan special this week from guest selector Robin Fuller. Mostly dreamy ambient type stuff before chugging into action by the end.
Serious double rainbow vibes here… so… beautiful.
Last week’s tracklist:
01. Bembeya Jazz National – Petit Sekou
02. Dusko Gojkovic – Devojko Mala
03. Arthur Verocai – Pelas Sombras
04. Moussa Doumbia – Samba
05. Azymuth – Young Embrace (Um Abraco Da Mocidade)
06. Monomono – Awareness is Wot You Need
07. Cassiano – Saia Dessa Fossa
08. Vincent Ahehehinnou – Maimouna Cherie
09. Selda Bagcan – Gitme
10. DJ Sotofett – Soukas Mix
Woweembeem Mixtape 024 was compiled by Robin Fuller and edited by Papa Lou.
Dennis Cassidy takes the controls this week with a killer selection of global sounds. Dennis runs Mixtapes From The Underground & manages The Record Spot among various other musical endeavours. Go Dennis!
Here’s the tracklist from last time:
01. Wayne Snow – Nothing Wrong
02. Mbongwana Star ft. Konono No1 – Malukayi
03. 79ers Gang – Eh Paka Way
04. Unknown – Just So (Knine Tseki Broken Beat Mix)
05. KOKOKO! – Tokoliana
06. M’Bamina – Mosi Zole (Un Et Deux)
07. Vis-a-Vis – Obi Agye Me Dofo
08. Ekambi Brilliant – Aboki (Mon Copain)
09. Groove on Commission – The Connection
10. Aki – The Truffle Tribe
Woweembeem Mixtape 022 was compiled by Dennis Cassidy and edited by Papa Lou.